Recently a friend asked how I came up with the idea for my blog. It’s all about family I suppose. In honor of those who were selfless enough to give me life. My original idea was to somehow fulfill my mother’s unfinished dreams, which is admittedly a weighty feat. Like Donald Trump says, if you’re going to dream, dream big! At first, about three years ago, I had planned to publish a charming, yet poignant, children’s book my mother wrote about fitting in and not letting the fear of what other people think stop you from being yourself. I know. My mom’s adorable.
Clearly this has not happened, but it’s something I still think about. I also wrote a book for her as a response about overcoming the torturous abuse my parents afflicted me with from an early age. By that, I mean raising me vegetarian, teaching me about conserving resources, trying to keep me from my beloved television and sugar (blasphemy, I know), and ALWAYS gettin’ in my face about that grammarz and biznass. Fools.
The idea of fulfilling her every hope and dream posthumously morphed into actually wanting to discover what that would entail. It’s brazen and characteristically haughty of me to assume that I would know.
Cheerful switch to today’s song dedication for my mama. Bonnie Raitt. My mother and I would drive to Boston College to visit Brother Mike and feed her need for premium organic everything! Vegetables! Soap! Sugar! Aside from my mother spending $300 at Whole Foods every Friday, we would take turns selecting a cassette tape for the ride. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard Bonnie Raitt’s Greatest Hits. Enough to know all the words to Little Rock, I’ll tell you that much.
And since my life is oh so fun to talk about…
Now for my favorite! Today I am thankful for…
1. My co-worker Alec Dann. Today is his last day. He has been a powerful mentor and he has been very kind to me.
2. My friend Meg who will embark on a journey to St. Johns. I am sad to see her go, but so happy she has this opportunity!
3. My lovely boyfriend who sent me flowers to tell me how much he loved me… and my blog. To the left. 😉
4. My caring and supportive family.
5. My boss. She has a hard job and never lets on that she does. Keeping that in takes incredible strength.
What are you thankful for?